Sunday, July 8, 2007

leftover leftover chili

There is one thing about me as a cook that often makes me even more proud than my modest culinary accomplishments: I rarely throw food away. I guess the fact that I am currently not working (and thus have the luxury to grocery shop everyday, sometimes more than once a day) and the fact that I am only cooking for myself and two others (and thus never feel the need to buy in bulk) help me out. At any rate, I would like to present as an example of my stunningly utilitarian resourcefulness, Leftover Leftover Chili.

The leftover ingredients that contributed to this chili are as follows: yellow cornmeal (from last week's birthday polenta), beef broth (from the porcini mushroom sauce for last week's birthday polenta), ground beef (from my roommate's Hamburger Helper), and cilantro (from last night's guacamole).

The easiest way to figure out a good way to use leftover ingredients is to go to Epicurious and search for a recipe that includes whatever you need to get rid of. Here's to never throwing away leftover ingredients again! Cheers.

Leftover Leftover Chili

This recipe will feed 6 to 8 people. This chili is particularly delicious when eaten the next day, as leftovers.

-ingredients-
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
2 cups kidney beans
2 cups red beans
2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
3 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
2 cups beef broth
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime's juice

-preparation-
1. Saute beef and onions in a large heavy pot until beef is browned, about 10 minutes. Make sure to break up beef as it cooks.
2. Add garlic, chili powder, chipotle chilies, kidney beans, red beans, tomatoes, salt, and pepper; stir about 2 minutes.
3. Add beef broth to pot and bring to boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add cilantro (reserving some for garnish, if desired) and lime juice. Reduce heat and allow chili to simmer for about 1 hour, partially covered and stirring occasionally.
5. Serve with grated cheese, dollop of sour cream, and/or garnish of cilantro on top, as desired.














Picture: Step 3.

No comments: