Tuesday, April 1, 2008

table for one

I could give you at least a dozen relatively convincing for why this blog has been a dead, cold animal for so many months now. At the top of the list: (*inhale*) I broke up with my boyfriend and have not felt like spending over 30 minutes on a meal for one was justified (*exhale*). All I can say is that the trauma of a breakup can have very transformative powers.

Even while preparing this meal, while listening to the Cibo Matto song on a mix Parsiri made for me, I found myself repeatedly doing a mental scan of my list of contacts in my phone. Was I really going to eat this meal by myself?

And then it hit me: having a significant other is not a prerequisite to eating good food. (Note-taking here not required, but strongly encouraged.) One can buy $10.99/lb roasted yellow tomatoes, small bottles of truffle oil, and stinky artisanal cheeses all for oneself. (Much has changed since we last spoke; notably, I am now possessing of Job... or perhaps more accurately, Job possesses me.)

The point is, single people very often ascribe their laziness in their kitchens to their solitary states. They eat large amounts of edamame and microwaved slabs of tofu for dinner. On good days, they will dump half a jar of Ragu onto a plate of spaghetti, but rarely do they feel so deserving.

So there you have it. I just enjoyed a wonderful meal of grilled chicken with roasted yellow tomatoes, mashed potatoes with goat cheese, and roasted asparagus, and let me tell you, I feel better already.

Red Potato Mash with Goat Cheese

-ingredients-
1 pound red boiling potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons creamy goat cheese (I like to use Chavrie)
3 cloves roasted garlic
1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

-preparation-
1. Roughly cut potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Drain potatoes; transfer to mixing bowl.
3. Add butter to bowl; allow potatoes to cool slightly, for a few minutes.
4. While potatoes are cooling, roughly mash roasted garlic using a mortar and pestle (or a fork) so that you almost have a paste. (If you are making the asparagus below, you can simply throw the garlic cloves into one corner of your roasting pan and take them out after about 5 minutes and they'll be good to go!)
5. Add mashed garlic to bowl, along with remaining ingredients. Use a potato masher to mash; serve.












Picture: Roasted garlic, not mashed.













Picture: Roasted garlic, mashed.



Easy Roasted Asparagus

-ingredients-
1 bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

-preparation-
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put asparagus in a rimmed sheet or roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil; add salt and pepper. Move the pan from side to side a bit so that all of the asparagus spears are coated.
3. Roast until just tender, about 12 minutes.

No comments: